Cancer Rehabilitation, Kawana
The cancer experience is unique to each individual and can be challenging on many levels. With advances in research and available treatments, survival rates are improving, and people are living longer. Cancer rehabilitation provided by a qualified therapist can assist you at all stages of your cancer journey – from diagnosis, during treatment and beyond. Research has highlighted the importance of appropriate physical activity for cancer patients, and rehabilitation should be a cornerstone of any cancer treatment.
Kawana Sportscare offers individualised assessments and evidence-based interventions to support and guide you in incorporating movement, exercise, and activity into your daily routine.
Interventions may include:
- Biomechanical, postural, and functional assessments
- Pain assessments
- Scar management
- Fatigue management
- Clinical Pilates: 1:1 or within small groups
- Functional strength and conditioning
- Breathing techniques and education
- Assistance for activities of daily living
- Mobility assessments
The importance of movement and physical activity
Unfortunately, patients tend to be become less physically active during and after cancer treatments and this can lead to further exacerbations of physical symptoms such as cancer related fatigue, loss of muscle strength and fitness, and reduced mobility.
Studies have shown exciting results supporting physical activity for patients during and after treatment for cancer. These include:
- Significant improvements in general fitness and muscle strength
- Improved mobility allowing you to maintain your independence
- Improvement in levels of fatigue after completing treatment. Interestingly, studies continue to show no further exacerbation of fatigue with physical activity during treatment.
- Improved mood and sense of well-being
- Lower levels of anxiety and depression
- Gaining a sense of control when you feel you have so little
- Improvements in sleep patterns, memory, and concentration
- Reduction in the risk of developing another chronic health condition, such as diabetes or heart disease. Participating in physical activity alone can decrease the risk of developing another health condition and can help manage chronic conditions.
- Reduce your risk of falls
In some cancers, including breast, colorectal and prostate cancers, being more active can help decrease the risk of recurrence and increase patient survival.
Initial appointments are 60minutes to allow time to gather information about your diagnosis, treatment to date, planned treatment, side effects, goals of treatment and to take baseline physical measures.
For more information on our Cancer Rehab services or if you would like to make an appointment, please contact us on 5444 2133. We also offer highly effective dance physiotherapy to patients in Kawana.